Q: Car gauges

Car was sitting in very hot sun yesterday. While driving speedometer was stuck on 25. The fuel gauge moved to left of full tacometer also not functioning. Car cooled down today seems to be okay. Am 3 hours from home. Safe to drive?

A: As long as the gauge cluster issue is the o...

As long as the gauge cluster issue is the only issue you are having, the vehicle should still be safe to drive. As far as what exactly is causing this issue, it is possible that the computer module responsible for controlling your gauge cluster is intermittently malfunctioning. This malfunction could have been due to an overheating issue that the module may have been having since you said it happened when the vehicle was very hot.

Once the computer module cooled back down, the functionality of it has returned and it is now functioning properly. I would recommend having your power train control module tested with a high tech scan tool by a qualified professional at the earliest possible opportunity to determine whether or not is is malfunctioning. The power train control module is likely the computer module that is responsible for controlling the instrument cluster.

If you'd like to get this fixed, contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the issue with your gauges and fix it accordingly.