Q: Car cranks but engine won't start

I do some of my own car repairs and I need to know where the fuel pump reset button is located. Thanks.

Hello. The 2005 Mitsubishi Galant is not equipped with a fuel pump reset button. This vehicle has two (2) relays and when removed, will shut the fuel pump down.

Other vehicles are equipped with something called an inertia switch (fuel pump shut off switch) that will shut down the fuel pump automatically, when necessary. On the inertia switch there is a reset button which may be used to reset and restart the fuel pump if it has been shut down in error. This switch can be found somewhere close to the airbag module, or in the right/left fender of the trunk.

I suggest that you contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to run a diagnostic inspection to find out why your car is not starting, and recommend the best path of repair, whether the fuel pump needs to be replaced, or the fuel pump relay needs to be replaced.

3. Car cranks but engine won't start