Q: Check ingine light is on and car died while I was driving

My check ingine light is on and car died while I was driving what could have caused this

Inasmuch as the check engine light came on, there will be critical clues to the failure that can be downloaded from your vehicle’s OBD-II system. If you schedule a check engine light diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will download those codes and narrow the diagnostic to get this resolved. Prior to having the codes in hand, one could speculate that a failure like this is due to a fuel pump failure or a major sensor failure such as a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. Perhaps the timing belt broke. It’s also possible for a global electrical failure to occur if, say, the ignition switch contacts suddenly opened or a major fuse blew. If the alternator was failing, the battery might have slowly discharged and that will eventually cause a total shutdown. Whatever the cause, if you request the check engine light diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Check ingine light is on and car died while I was driving