Q: Car coughs while driving.....sometimes.

asked by on August 12, 2016

Hi, I have honda city 2007 zx gxi petrol version. My problem is that sometimes my car coughs while driving. When it is in idle stage then there is no prob. No coughing or missing is there and rpm is also normal. Nowdays my mileage is low (13 approx) earlier it was (15+) in the same condition.

Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. There are multiple potential causes of your engine’s "cough".

The engine that powers your 2007 Honda City has multiple sensors that help the fuel system burn fuel efficiently. Since your fuel efficiency mileage is also suffering, my initial guess is that you may have a problem with your air-to-fuel ratio sensor. This sensor is responsible for making sure that the engine receives a correct mixture of petrol and oxygen to ensure the engine burns this mixture inside the combustion chamber efficiently.

In many cases, when the air-to-fuel mixture is too "rich" (meaning more fuel than air), it will cause an engine to sputter or cough. This could also be caused by clogged fuel injectors, dirty air filters, or other problems.

I would recommend contacting a qualified mechanic to diagnose your sputtering issue and make the appropriate repairs.