Q: 2002 S type tranmission hard to get out of park and have to pull all the way down to drive before you can get it in reverse

Hard to get out of park and have to pull it all the way to drive before you can get it in reverse

Hello. Most of the time, this is caused by a failing shifter, but it can also occur if anything was ever spilled into the shifter assembly. Most of the time, some liquid gets spilled from the cup holder and it causes this issues. I usually take the shifter apart to check it for this. Either way, it will need to be replaced as an assembly. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting problem.

• 2002 S type tranmission hard to get out of park and have to pull all the way down to drive before you can get it in reverse