Q: Manual gear shift hard to move

asked by on September 08, 2017

I have a 2003 Chevy Tracker manual transmission. Lately, it has been very difficult to switch gears while my car is running. It is hardest to switch it into 1st gear, but I meet a lot of resistance with each of them. I almost have to use every ounce of strength I have to get it to move. When the car is not running, the gears shift with no resistance. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This may suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears or in some cases cause the transmission to pop out of gear. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr