Q: Car Alarm goes off when driving - 2012 Toyota Corolla

I recently bought a preowned Corolla, the car worked like a dream, until the Toyota Dealership installed a car alarm.

When I first got it back it ran a little different, at first the steering wheel was a little loose, but that I fixed and is now the least of my problems. I noticed that the alarm light was never on, about a week later, I go to drive it, I do nothing differently. I turned on my car and when I put it in drive or reverse or neutral, I hear an extra beep like the alarm is armed. And now when I drive, it beeps a couple of times as though it's warning me, and then it goes ballistic and the alarm goes off.

I've tried everything in the manual but nothing seems to work, do you have an idea of what it might be? (Please note that sometimes I do press the LOCK button twice when I'm unsure if I've locked the car) Also another question is, is there anyway the dealership could take out the alarm and make it the way it was like the day I bought it?

A: Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechani...

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Car alarms are tricky and can drive people crazy. To my knowledge, there are several ways that the car will arm the alarm with the key in the ignition. Go around the vehicle and check all of the doors, trunk, and hood. Make sure that they are all closed. The alarm will sound if the hood is not latched correctly, the trunk is not secure and moves around, or if a door is in the first latch position leaving it unsecured.

There may be safety switches mounted on the doors, trunk, and hood to keep you safe. If everything is secured and latched, then there may be a loose wire from when the dealership installed the alarm. The dealership must have hooked the alarm up to the ignition switch, for the reason your steering wheel was a little different. When they did that, they might have crossed some wires on the ignition switch.

As far as the other question, you can have any car alarm removed as long as it is not installed into the computers wiring harness. This means that aftermarket alarms are add on's as to where the factory alarms are integrated into the entire vehicle. If you are still having trouble with your car alarm coming on while you are driving, I would recommend taking the vehicle to the dealer to have the system inspected.