Q: key won't turn in ignition - can't. start car - steering wheel locked

asked by on October 22, 2016

Have tried some remedies such as jiggling steering wheel, foot on brake. try to turn key - have cleaned key but nothing seems to work -is there anything else I could try?

Hi there. From the description you have given, your vehicle’s key not turning, is not a bound steering wheel lock. It could be, a worn key. Try another key, if available. Don’t have a duplicate key made, from the key that doesn’t work. Most dealerships can cut a key for you, using the VIN (vehicle identification number). If, the replacement key won’t work. This would lead me to believe, the ignition lock cylinder has a problem (ie; worn tumblers). Replacement or repair of the lock cylinder may be required. I recommend having your vehicle’s [key won’t turn] be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician from YourMechanic.