Q: Cant get timing belt over tensioner

I'm trying to put my timing belt on and I have all the tension relieved off the tensioner but I can't seem to get the belt over the tensioner pulley I tried the belt for a 95 ranger that is about an inch longer but that belt is to long. Is there any tips or tricks that can help me

During removal of the old belt, a special tool is used to position the tensioner in the fully retracted position, which makes it easy to slide the new belt over. On removal the instructions are to loosen the belt tensioner pulley assembly, then position a camshaft belt adjuster tool (T74P-6254-A or equivalent) on the tension spring rollpin and retract the belt tensioner away from the timing belt. Then you tighten the adjustment bolt to lock the tensioner in that fully retracted position. Once you have installed the new belt over the crankshaft sprocket and then counterclockwise over the auxiliary and camshaft sprockets, making sure the lugs on the belt properly engage the sprocket teeth on the pulleys, you then release the timing belt tensioner pulley, allowing the tensioner to take up the belt slack. If the spring does not have enough tension to move the roller against the belt (belt hangs loose), it might be necessary to manually push the roller against the belt and then re-tighten the bolt to the factory torque spec. If the tensioner pulley is fully retracted per the foregoing instructions and yet the belt will not just slip on, in all probability the belt is the wrong part number. If you desire, a YourMechanic professional can complete the installation, right at your location, if you request timing belt replacement. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Cant get timing belt over tensioner