Can you tell me how to remove the charcoal canister in a ...

Q: Can you tell me how to remove the charcoal canister in a 02 hyundai sonata 2.4l it needs the foam replaced

asked by on March 05, 2017

MY evap code is on and the reason for that is the charcoal canister near the gas tank is clogging up my fuel lines and its causig a code to pop up. i need to replace the foam inside the canister with mesh so i know longer have the problem. but i need to know how to remove the charcoal canister

To remove the canister, perform the following:

• Remove the two bolts that hold the canister onto the car and drop it down.

• Then remove the bolts that secure the canister to the shield cover.

• Disconnect the wiring harness to the canister near the rear of the vehicle.

• Then pop out the harness sensor from the canister with a pair of needle nose pliers.

• Then slide the hose clamps off the canister onto the hoses.

• Use a screwdriver and pop the hoses off the canister and remove the purge valve.

• Then take the remaining two hose clamps off the hoses that the canister is hanging by and use the screwdriver to take the hoses off the canister.

• Then the canister will come off.

I recommend that not only changing out the foam inside the canister, but also replacing the purge valve. Installation is the opposite of the removal. If you need further assistance with your charcoal canister, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.