Q: Can you replace just the hydraulic line in steering rack or does the entire rack have to be replaced?

Power steering fluid leaking from retainer on the right hydraulic line of the steering rack. When you start the engine any fluid in reservoir pours out. It started as a slow leak now it won't hold any fluid and I have not moved the car since discovering the leak. I know the lines come with a new rack but can just the lines be replaced by themselves?

The individual lines can be replaced but that is only worthwhile if there are no other faults with the rack. Also, inasmuch as the rack will probably have to be removed from the vehicle to replace an individual line, there is the related risk that you go to all that trouble, and expense, only to find other issues with the rack once it is re-installed in the car. But, again, to answer your principal question, the individual tubes can absolutely be replaced and they can even be fabricated right in the field. If you desire an inspection and advice as to the least cost and most effective repair strategy for this issue, please schedule a leak diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will explain your options and ultimately get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns as you decide what to do, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Can you replace just the hydraulic line in steering rack or does the entire rack have to be replaced?