Can you buff or polish a car using a just buffer without ...

Q: Can you buff or polish a car using a just buffer without having to wax it?

asked by on November 10, 2016

Hello,

I hope this is a good place to ask this questions. I been trying to buff, and wax my car. But I feel intimidated doing it, I don't want to make things worse. I want to remove those small scratches and also make the car shine. Is it possible to just buff your car with a car buffer without having to use hard chemicals or having to wax it? Is waxing a must? If by any chance do you guys have any detail instructions on how to do it?

Using a buffer on a car’s paint to get out scratches would require the use of a compound liquid to take off some of the paint surface. If you buff too much in one spot, then you will take off too much paint or clear coat, causing permanent paint damage that would require repainting. Buffing out the scratches with the compound would strip all the wax off the surface. You will need to apply a wax on the paint surface or it will get dull from oxidation in a short time.

I would recommend getting a professional service to buff the paint with a compound and then apply a new coat of wax or you can use a wax with a cleaner in it to take out some of the scratches.