Q: Can I trust the mechanic?

Engine light came on. O'Reillys can't use diagnostic test cause cig lighter don't work. (Not fuse) Took it to a mechanic. He hooks up to the truck same way as O'Reillys did & says that they could have read it too that they didnt know how to correctly. Mechanic says the tester was reading transmission codes but didn't give any specifics. But he did tell me his tester cost $4 grand & went beyond codes. That it actually tells him whats going on.So I'm thinking he should have been able to be more specific about what problem my transmission is having, don't you think?

Yes, generally most scanning tools and equipment will indicate specific codes that will direct you to what may be causing the problem. There are numerous scanners out on the market that are fairly inexpensive that will generally indicate what codes need to be addressed.

If you’d like another pair of eyes on the situation, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your truck and determine what codes are causing the Check Engine Light to come on.