Q: Can bad plugs cause shuddering when accelerating?

I understand some of the Ford models form this year may be experiencing shuddering b/c of a factory defect that the company announced earlier. However, can bad plugs cause shuddering when pressing the gas pedal, especially on heavy traffic or going at a slow speed? The vehicle has 60K+ and I have never done a tune up, or changed to new plugs. Please advice.

Worn or defective spark plugs are a cause of engine "misoperation" and the misoperation may manifest as shuddering, stumbling, vibration, and so forth. However, based on the NHTSA database for your year and model, as well as the recent Ford Class Action Settlement involving spark plugs, I see no indication that your model and year is implicated in any systematic spark plug defect. The spark plug service interval on your vehicle is 100,000 miles. In all probability, the plugs are still good, but they would of course be evaluated in a diagnostic if you are experiencing misoperation. If you desire a resolution of this issue, please refer to YourMechanic’s engine diagnostic service page and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Can bad plugs cause shuddering when accelerating?