Q: Dashboard blacks out without warning

asked by on September 28, 2016

My dashboard screen blacks out without warning and then comes back on a couple of seconds later. It does this when I accelerate from a stop at a normal speed. The screen does the same thing when you first start the car. The screen blacked out one time when my car stalled and in the dark while accelerating onto a bridge. My headlights got stuck in the down position on that bridge, and it was so scary. I could only see 12 feet in front of me. It did this 8 times in 2 days. The dealership has never heard of this. Do you know what causing this and how I can fix it? It’s dangerous.

That sounds pretty scary. The problem you are experiencing isn’t very common, but I’d try to see if there are technical service bulletins regarding the issue and the experts at Cadillac are trying to find a solution. The problem can be in a shared fused power source, the body control module which sends commands to various accessories or a faulted ground connection somewhere. Being only a few years old, your issue may best be handled at the dealer since they should have better knowledge of the vehicle’s electronics. If you are unable to get help from them, then try another dealer or raise the circumstance up with customer service to see if they’ll be able to further assist.