Q: High-pitched sounds and shuddering at the stop light, dash lights on

Hello. I'm having issues with my car that ran fine until recently. While I was driving, the car made some high-pitched sounds and started shuddering badly at the stop light. At that point, the check engine light went on, along with the VSC and VSC Off lights. I thought this might have something to do with cold weather. There was no stalling however, and the shuddering was gone when I accelerated. Is this serious? Do you have any suggestions what I should check? Thank you.

The problem is in the traction control system, which detected a fault and turned on the VSC and check engine light. You will need to have the system tested to see what codes were stored and then have them diagnosed to see what caused the problem. You may have an intermittent fault that caused the problem or a sensor that may be damaged or needs to be replaced. Have a mechanic come in and scan the systems on your vehicle to diagnose the problems.

• High-pitched sounds and shuddering at the stop light, dash lights on