Q: Can a cracked evaporative canister affect my air filters?

I received a service campaign (recall, I guess) for the replacement of a Evaporative canister needed replaced. While I was getting my normal oil change, they determined the part was indeed already cracked and replaced it no charge. My question is, can this cracked part have any impact on cabin filters or air condition air filter? These were replaced when I had the 15,000 mile service. They told me again 7,000 miles later they were already dirty again and needed replaced AGAIN. Are the 2 connected? Should they have changed the 2 filters at no charge as well?

The cabin air filter should be replaced every time you have an oil change. This keeps the air in the cab clean at all times and keeps the AC and heater working in good condition. The filters are not a warranty item because they are like an oil filter, they get used and replaced on a maintenance schedule. There is no effect on the cabin air filter because the evaporative canister is located in the back of the car and the filter is in the cabin near the engine compartment. If you feel your filters are getting clogged too quickly, seek out a technician, as one from YourMechanic, who can complete a filter inspection to determine if there are any problems.

3. Can a cracked evaporative canister affect my air filters?