Q: Error code P0171 and P0374

I used the OBD II / EOBD CODE READER and found the following code P0171 System too lean Bank 1 (Generic o) P0374 Timing Reference Hig n Resolution Signal A No Pulses (Generic o) P0171 System too lean Bank 1 (Gen Pd o) P0374 Timing Reference Hig n Resolution Signal A No Pulses (Gen Pd o) Freeze Frame: DTCFRZF P0171 Fuel sys 1 CL Fuel sys 2 -- Load_PCT (%) 75.29 ECT( ‘C) 78.00 SHRTFT1 (%) 0.00 LONGFT1 (%) 25.00 SHRTFT2 (%) 0.00 LONGFT2 (%) 25.00 MAP (kPa) 47.00 RPM(rpm) 705.50 VSS(km/h) 0.00 SPARKADV 4.5

I don’t feel anything while driving the 2006 Ford Five hundred SEL (I don’t have much knowledge about vehicles), It accelerates well and goes easily to 40miles per hour when given the acceleration (I have not tried beyond 40 miles/hr in order to avoid any damage, as I bought it recently and want to repair it before use) the odometer reads about 200,000 miles, I showed to a local mechanic he said the gear is either in 2nd or 3rd (limp mode) after a short test drive???

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. If the vehicle went into limp mode, then the computer is making this happen to prevent the engine from any damage. Check the camshaft sensor for proper timing to the camshaft. Look at the harness and make sure that it is plugged in and free from any moisture. Since the engine is running good, the crankshaft sensor is working correctly. Disconnect the camshaft sensor and drive the vehicle around to see if there is any change to the performance of the engine.

If there was no change, then the camshaft sensor needs replaced. If it did change then, you will need to check the timing of the engine with a timing light. When checking with a timing light, make sure that the timing flash is on the same point. If the timing is not at the same point, then the engine will need a timing chain and / or tensioner. If the timing is steady, then the camshaft sensor needs replaced. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with the engine codes coming up.