Q: Can a Car's Exhaust Be Damaged By Bad Roads?

Can a car's exhaust be damaged by bad roads?

A: There are many obstacles that could damage ...

There are many obstacles that could damage a vehicle's exhaust. Road conditions aren’t always the best, and there are often potholes or debris from a falling truck that can damage the underside of your car. A big contributor to a damaged exhaust are broken hangers. These hangers hold the exhaust to the vehicle. When one breaks, it allows the exhaust system to fall down or hang down lower than normal so a typical pothole in the road could seriously damage it or could rip the hanger completely off.

Most times, if you are having an exhaust issue, you will hear rattling or banging coming from the underside of the vehicle when you hit bumps or potholes. Other signs you may have an exhaust issue could be that it sounds louder than normal. If you are having any of these issues, make sure you have it checked by an experienced technician.

That being said, not all exhaust issues are from rotted or broken exhaust pipes. You may have hit a rock or a piece of debris in the road and it only dented the exhaust. That's not bad right? Wrong! A dent in exhaust system could cause severe engine damage if it is restricting the flow of exhaust out of the engine. This issue will create major amounts of back pressure and cause running issues, stalling problems, and possibly internal engine damage.

No matter what happens to your vehicle, if you run something over or hit a pothole badly enough and are now hearing noises, get the exhaust system checked by a technician to make sure you are not doing major damage to your vehicle by continuing to drive it.