Q: block heater cord is too short

i would like to just plug the car in without lifting the hood all the time, because the hood has to be held up manually or with the hood strut, is there a longer cord available that would stick out of the grill? i have rheumatoid arthritis and it is difficult and painful especially when it's very cold outside. most extension cords are all too long. how can i safely have this fixed?

Hi there. I completely understand your concern. I’ve installed block heaters on Toyota products during my time at the dealerships. When I installed the heaters I kept this exact concern in my mind. I always tried to find a way to route the wire harness for the heater so that it protruded an inch or two out of the grille or near the grille so that a cord could be plugged in without having to raise the hood. This does mean that the cord will be there and may not look pretty and I always offered to reroute it back inside the engine compartment. I would suggest inquiring where the heater was installed about a rerouting possibility. Unfortunately, Your Mechanic does not offer services on block heaters at this time. Your Mechanic is available seven days a week for most of your service needs without having to go to the service department, we come to you! Feel free to schedule your next appointment anytime at www.yourmechanic.com.

3. block heater cord is too short