Q: Cam sensor going bad

Hi peter, my sons cam sensor has been acting up, I took it to our local mechanic and they said they didn't have the computer that would reset the system if the new sensor wasn't recognized. I know I can change it, but I was wondering how often that happens. Never see it mentioned on youtube. BTW It is an MK4 later 1999 jetta

Hello. It does not appear that a camshaft position sensor replacement requires any sort of programming for your model of Jetta. The new sensor should function as soon as it the engine is reassembled and the sensor is plugged in. If it does not then that may be a sign of a possible wiring issue or computer issue. If you are unsure I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to replace the sensor at your convenience.