Q: Bypassing oil cooler

So my frontier had a problem where oil was getting into the cooling system. We took it to the mechanic and found out it was the engine cooler causing the problem. So we got a new oil cooler and the whole cooling system was flushed. The same problem occurred about a month later and this time the car actually overheated because of the amount of gunk build up from the oil . So now we are faced with the possibility that the head could be cracked or the oile cooler went bad again. We also know that you can damage the oil cooler by tightening it too much which we think the mechanic did . So we decided to bypass the oil cooler, completely flush the cooling system and drive it for a few days so that we know for a fact that it could be the head if we see oil come up in the radiator again. Do you think that it is a good idea to bypass the oil cooler? We drive the car very light and don't drive long distances. I just don't want to take the head off unnecessarily

The only way to determine if your operating conditions permit bypass of an OEM engine oil cooler is to install an oil temperature gauge. If gauge readings are always below 240 degrees F. (but above 212 degrees F.) you do not need a cooler. You can always bypass an OEM oil cooling system and install an aftermarket system but in your circumstances if it is properly installed, the OEM system is fine. Overheating can damage the cooling system thermostat so be mindful of that going forward as a damaged thermostat will create new problems. Transmission oil coolers can leak into the coolant, too, so be sure that is not the issue. If you want the situation investigated and learn of what, if any, repairs are needed, the recommended service to request is an oil leak diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Bypassing oil cooler