Q: Broken shielding dragging underneath car.

On the passenger side undercarriage, there's a pair of lines that run from the back to the front. It looks like they could be gas or brake lines; I'm not entirely sure which. It isn't really relevant anyway. The lines are completely intact and fine. My problem is that the plastic covering for these lines has become disconnected and started dragging underneath my car last night.

I have an idea to jury-rig a fix for it. Basically (and I'll try to describe this as simply as I can), there are three clips along the lines. The clips have a small rectangular bit that is attached to them with a small bolt. It looks like this piece is what the shielding used to be attached to. It's effectively just a plastic rectangle bolted onto the clip at this point, so my idea was just to rotate it 90 degrees so that it overlaps the shielding and then tighten it with longer bolts.

Is it worth trying or should I just replace the whole shielding?

The plastic cover is designed to protect the lines from "scouring" from kicked up sand, dirt, and debris and also provide some protection against rocks and larger debris. There is no need to replace it. There are a multitude of ways to re-attach it including even zip tying it to the lines themselves so long as the plastic cover is light in weight and the load is distributed across a sufficient number of spots. If you are using any kind of metal fastener, or longer fastener, just be careful not to impinge upon the pipes or put anything there that could rub a hole into the wall of the pipe and cause a leak. Your best bet could be a handful of heavy duty nylon zip ties. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Broken shielding dragging underneath car.