Q: How do I add oil to the engine?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do I add oil to the engine?

Without the right level of oil in the engine, bad things will happen. Engine oil lubricates and reduces friction, ensuring that your engine runs smoothly. If the level is low, though, you’ll start to notice that the engine runs rough, that your fuel economy is suffering, and you may actually damage the engine. If you check the engine oil and the level is below the bottom hole on the dipstick, you’ll need to add a quart. Here’s how:

1. With the car parked level and the engine off, open the hood.

2. Locate the oil filler cap.

3. Twist it to the left and unscrew it.

4. Set the oil cap aside somewhere safe.

5. Insert a clean funnel into the oil filler hole.

6. Add a quart of oil.

7. Wait a few minutes to let the oil drain into the pan and check the oil level on the dipstick. It should be between the low and full marks (the top and bottom holes on the dipstick).

8. Replace the oil filler cap.

9. Close the hood.

Tip

• While it’s normal to lose some oil over time, if it happens regularly or you notice a significant loss, have your vehicle inspected for leaks.