Q: 2010 VW caddy 1.9 TDI- flywheel installation issue

I had to install a new Dual Mass Flywheel after a catastrophic clutch failure. While putting on the bell housing it appears to have scraped a small divot out of the smooth part of the rear of the flywheel, no damage to the teeth. Do I have to buy a new one and start over?

While it stay stable despite the slight gouging? For reference it is probably 1/8 in deep at the deepest, but it's approx 2 inches long. I'm just worried it can't stay balanced while spinning. I sure hope it's fine. This model flywheel was $600 (including clutch). Not to mention it's a beast of a job.

I have to wonder if what you are actually looking at is a relief cut in the flywheel that is in the outer perimeter near the ring gear. It’s hard for me to imagine that you could really do significant damage to the flywheel installing the transmission unless you were really brutal with it. The factory relief cut is pretty clean and regular. If what you have looks like a gouge though, it probably is a gouge. My guess is that under normal driving conditions you might get away with it. But it’s difficult to say without seeing the flywheel itself. If you are driving the car as a high performance car, and really spinning the engine up, any imbalance could cause you trouble. If you decide you’ve had enough and want to delegate this job, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home and look at this project and tell you what can be done with it.