Q: Purge control solenoid stuck open, hard to start after refuling

ran evap test with scanner, scanner said purge control solenoid stuck open, we have changed solenoid twice. motor was just replaced, bought car with blown motor , trying to get smoged

A: Hello. If the computer is saying that the p...

Hello. If the computer is saying that the purge valve is stuck open it is usually because there is an EVAP leak in the system. If the purge valve is new I usually check the wiring and the signal going to the valve to make sure it is not shorted keeping the valve open.

If the circuit is fine then I do a smoke test to identify where the leak is. Most of the time this is caused by a leak in the gas cap or in the line from the tank to the engine. The smoke test will usually identify the issue.

If you need to have this EVAP system problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue firsthand and repair this problem.