Q: Broken head gasket

I have a cracked head gasket and trying to see what to do. Due to it being cracked my car overheats and smokes a lot in the back.

At a minimum, you will need to have the cylinder head removed and inspected to determine the severity of the damage that may have been caused by the blown head gasket as the problems associated with something like this are many and quite varied depending on the circumstances. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms.

A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and perhaps few other symptoms. A failure between cylinders will cause compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression results in a rough idling engine. Damage of this type may not cause overheating, coolant in the oil or any other outward sign. Many people overlook this as the cause of engine misfires, because the blown head gasket does not also give the other more common symptoms. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted. This type of failure may not show with a compression test. Pressuring the cooling system and then starting the engine, may make the misfire more noticeable. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

3. Broken head gasket