Q: Brand new clutch installed and on the way home it grinds while shifting into 3rd and it never did that before.

Have a 2008 Mustang Bullitt I took it to the shop to have a clutch replaced they replace my clutch with the new clutch kit slave cylinder master cylinder and they bled the system now on the way home it grinds while going into 3rd gear weather in 2nd to 3rd or 4th down into 3rd it grinds and the shop is telling me that I need to get my Synchro address now is this something that they could have known while replacing the clutch and I just find it so hard to believe being that I never had any problems before with grinding. And if in fact that is the case any idea what I'm looking at as far as expenses I just spent $1,736 on the repair job I just had done

A: Hello. I share your dismay. When a clutch i...

Hello. I share your dismay. When a clutch is replaced it does not implicate any of the internal gearing of the transmission. Although it would seem improbable (because you are not experiencing grinding in gears other than 3rd) you might ask them to double check the bleeding and any visible external mechanism (lever) that might give a clue as to whether you are getting full disengagement of the clutch. It's a long shot but of course the suggestion is prompted by this incredible coincidence.

One possibility I hate to mention is they of course could have somehow damaged the transmission in any pre or post "test drives" (I don't recommend valet parking). To evaluate that possibility you would have to do a literal forensic examination of the parts involved. This is not impossible by any means but I suppose it will not help you one way or another as you simply need a fully repaired car.

As far as the cost to drop the transmission, get in there, and repair third, it is hard to say without knowing full extent of any hard parts that might be needed. Obviously, removal and rebuild, or removal and limited repair is relatively costly.

At this juncture, if you are keeping the car, an option is to get the shifting issue diagnosed by YourMechanic for a second opinion and perhaps link up with one of their certified transmission specialists who could no doubt get this resolved for you at a reasonable cost.