Q: Hello, I just got my front lower ball joints and control arms replaced today, but I am now experiencing a tinking sound.

asked by on February 09, 2017

Hello, I just got my front lower ball joints and control arms replaced today by a trusted mechanic, but I am now experiencing a tinking sound while accelerating. I did not have this sound before the work was done. It seems to be coming from the driver's side and is only heard while the car is in motion. Almost like something is clinking with something else. What could this noise be?

Brakes, Steering and Suspension Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The most obvious possibility is damage to the CV joint during control arm replacement. In your application, the CV joint and boot will be impacted unless precautions are taken when the ball joint is separated from the steering knuckle. Indeed, there is a specific caution regarding this in the Factory Service Manual for your car. Check to see if the outer CV boot on the driver side has any evidence of impact or damage (tearing for example). If the arm was not tightened with weight on the suspension, the ride height could be off and hypothetically that could cause the axle, and CV joint, to be out of position. Another possibility is debris has gotten in the brake pad/rotor area and/or a dust shield got bent causing contact with the rotor. In any event, the bottom line is once a repair is performed, new problems are not supposed to be created and evidently that has happened in your circumstance. Although arm replacement doesn’t require removal of the hub axle nut, if by chance (by mistake) that nut was removed and then re-applied with the wrong torque, that could cause the noise as well (would be wheel bearing noise). To obtain a definitive diagnostic, please request a suspension inspection and the responding certified Mechanic will get your concerns addressed and resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr