Q: Odd noise like a tractor, oil light keeps coming on. What could this mean?

Oil light keeps coming on, strange noise when driving like a tractor. Slow down when driving too. What could be wrong??

When the oil light comes on, it’s usually an indication that your oil pressure is low. When your engine is running, it has a pump that moves the engine oil through passages in the engine under pressure to keep the moving parts lubricated. When that pressure drops below a pre-set point, usually around 7PSI, a warning light is activated to tell you there is a problem. When the engine oil light comes on, you need to stop driving the car and not operate it until you find out what the trouble is. If you run your engine while there is little or no oil pressure, it does a lot of damage very quickly The sound that you are hearing is a good indication that your engine is not getting lubrication and damage is being done. The first thing you need to do is check the oil level just to be sure you have enough oil. If there is enough oil in the engine, then it becomes necessary to find out what the cause of the low pressure is. By contacting Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come to your home or office too check out your oil pressure problem and tell you what can be done about it.

• Odd noise like a tractor, oil light keeps coming on. What could this mean?