Q: Air suspension system issue on 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII

My car has gone around 130,000 miles and has a problem with the air suspension system. When I drive on the highway at speeds over 60 mph, the front air suspension seems to drop down. This also happens when the engine is turned off. It just doesn't stay inflated for some reason. I was told that everything is fine at the Lincoln dealership, which it obviously isn't. What could cause this?

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 199...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII. I suggest that you have a technician test a power and ground going to the air ride relay and pump. Some particular make and model have experienced corrosion on the wires leading to relay for the air ride conflict cause erratic air ride behavior. The best way to test the air ride system is by using an EEC-IV scan tool to run an automated test on the air ride system.

There is a a way to test the air ride without such a scan tool, but a test light and a good understanding of wiring diagrams are needed. If you'd like to have this done, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to perform this test and diagnose your suspension issue.