Q: Brake piston seized after brake pad change

I recently attempted to change my brake pads. After i removed the caliper, I forgot that i needed a clamp to compress the piston, so i put the car back the way it was with the old pads and tried to drive off to get a clamp. The brake has a horrible grind now and the brake seems semi-engaged. I could not leave my driveway. I took it apart again, bled the brake a pit, it became slightly looser, but still too engaged to drive anywhere. How can i at least return it to the way it was?

A: Was this the rear brakes? Many times the re...

Was this the rear brakes? Many times the rear calipers have to be turned in with a special press that turns the piston and presses the piston in at the same time. This is because the parking brake is built into the rear caliper. Often times the parking brake in the caliper gets seized up and causes the brakes to get stuck on. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this problem is to replace the caliper.

Now, if it’s the front brakes, it is possible that the sliders on the brake caliper bracket may be stuck. If they get stuck, this will cause the brakes to be stuck on. It is possible for the sliders to be taken apart and lubricated to avoid replacing the caliper.

I would recommend asking for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic to come to your location, run a diagnostic inspection on your brake system, and get your brakes working properly again.