Q: Brain rattling shaking when accelerating a little harder like up hill but not when cruising normally & car starts/idles fine

asked by on March 20, 2017

Car was running perfectly when I began uphill where I had to accelerate a little harder to maintain speed and all of a sudden this unbelievable shaking rattled the entire car. When leveled out and traveling downhill, the car felt perfect again. The shaking only happens when I'm accelerating quickly from a stop, attempting to merge onto the interstate or drive up an incline. Car still starts and idles perfectly fine as usual and drives fine when just cruising and maintaining speed. I had valve cover gasket replaced by a pro mechanic a few months ago and he said the motor mounts need to be replaced. Could that be the issue? Or what could other causes be?

Hi There, Engine mounts can certainly cause a vibration when accelerating and may also cause a slight vibration at other times as well depending on the severity of their condition and where they may be damaged. Engine mounts are generally rubber mounted braces that hold the engine in place to the chassis of the car. When these break or become weak or faulty, this may cause the engine to vibrate heavily. If the vibration were caused by another problem such as an engine or transmission mechanical failure, it is likely that you would have a check engine light on that would indicate such a problem. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.