Q: Blower motor resistor and transistor.

asked by on November 16, 2016

If there is a burning smell and my AC only works on number 4 do I have to replace both the blower motor resistor and the transistor? What happens if I only replace the transistor?

Heater Blower Motor Resistor Replacement $91.43 - $613.75 Get a Quote
Heater Blower Motor Replacement $108.29 - $860.39 Get a Quote

Your car is not equipped with a transistor for the blower motor. Your car has a blower resistor that controls the speed of the blower motor with the changes to the blower switch. The burning smell you are getting may be a combination of the blower motor going bad and overheating the blower resistor that is mounted in blower case next to the blower. I would recommend having the blower motor and resistor replaced.(https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/heater-blower-motor-replacement) Make sure to inspect connections at both of these components for heat related damages. Replace any melted connections with the component.