Q: Car runs rough and shuts off - 1990 BMW 750iL

My car has gone 245,000 miles and possibly has transmission issues. Upon startup, I put the car in gear and it doesn't move or it starts running rough for a short distance and eventually shuts off. It also shudders a bit ocassionally. Is this related to transmission or is it something else entirely?

A: Without some additional symptoms, this is h...

Without some additional symptoms, this is hard to say. If the car runs smoothly when warm, this would reflect a "cold start" problem with the engine. If the transmission shifts harshly either cold or hot, the transmission may need repair given your mileage. Have a professional mechanic, like a certified technician from YourMechanic, check out the vehicle under these conditions to better isolate the problem(s).