Q: Car runs rough and shuts off - 1990 BMW 750iL

My car has gone 245,000 miles and possibly has transmission issues. Upon startup, I put the car in gear and it doesn't move or it starts running rough for a short distance and eventually shuts off. It also shudders a bit ocassionally. Is this related to transmission or is it something else entirely?

Without some additional symptoms, this is hard to say. If the car runs smoothly when warm, this would reflect a "cold start" problem with the engine. If the transmission shifts harshly either cold or hot, the transmission may need repair given your mileage. Have a professional mechanic, like a certified technician from YourMechanic, check out the vehicle under these conditions to better isolate the problem(s).

3. Car runs rough and shuts off - 1990 BMW 750iL