Q: Car cannot pick up fuel

My truck cannot pick up fuel for some reason. I had the fuel pump replaced but it didn't solve the problem. I checked under the dashboard on the passenger's side to see if the relay and fuses are good. I also tested how the engine is running by pouring gas into a breather hose, and it was running fine as long as there was gas. Do you have any idea what else I could check and solve this problem?

The first step is to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. For your vehicle, pressure should be 30 to 40 PSI while running and 35 to 45 PSI with the engine off. Since you’ve already replaced the pump, if pressure is below specification, suspect a faulty fuel pressure regulator, clogged fuel filter or restricted fuel line.

If fuel pressure is OK, you’ll want to check for injector pulse. This can be done by inserting a noid light into the harness side of the injector connector. If the light flashes when the engine is cranked, the powertrain control module (PCM) is commanding the injectors on. If the light does not flash, the computer is not commanding on the injectors and the reason why will have to be determined. Potential causes include a faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, cranks sensor (CKP) or faulty PCM.

I suggest you save both time and money by having a professional diagnosis this issue for you. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we can come to you, saving you a repair bill.