Q: Blower Motor only working on highest speed.

My fan only works on the highest setting. It is a manual system. I went and bought a new blower motor resistor and thought that would be the fix. When I took the old part out of the connector , I did notice some corrosion/ burn damage. Here's where it gets tricky. I accidentally installed the blower motor resistor upside down. However, the fan started working, just in a backwards sort of manner. Setting 1 now blows a level 3 power. Setting 2 still blows a level 2 power. Setting 3 blows a level 1 power. Setting 4 still blows a level 4. I started to smell something. Took the blower resistor off and noticed it was hot and upside down. I reinstalled it in the correct position and now I'm back to square one. Only level 4 works. Could the connector piece (the one with the colored wires) be the actual problem? Or is there a fuse involved?

A: You mentioned that you started to smell som...

You mentioned that you started to smell something. This may be a sign that the blower controller or the resistor was burnt out when it was hooked up wrong. You should try replacing the blower controlling resistor that you hooked up wrong. But like you mentioned, it could also be a fuse problem that has shorted. If you would like to have this looked at, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic inspect the wiring and determine what should be done.