Q: Battery not charging

My battery does not recharge when I am driving and there is a squeal or squeaking noise when the engine is running. My uneducated analysis is that the problem is with my alternator, cables and/or battery. I don't think it is the battery because I replaced it not long ago and the "not charging" problem seems to be recurring. I would like to use your services but have a couple of questions.

Will you analyze the problem before you just replace the alternator if I schedule an appointment?

I am in Round Rock for the week but I live in Dallas. If I get the work done here (in Round Rock) will the work still be covered by your warranty by someone in Dallas?

Thanks for your help

Hi There, This may be in fact a sign of a failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail as you have described. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.