Q: Battery light on; belt noise

asked by on February 19, 2016

The battery light is on. I think the battery is not charging. And there is a belt noise when starting the car. I think it's either a loose belt or the alternator seized or is bad.

When the Battery Light on the dashboard illuminates, usually there is an issue with the alternators performance. The alternator is the device that maintains the batteries charge during vehicle use. If the belt is too loose, it can slip causing noise. Also, a slipping belt cannot spin the alternator properly and causes it to appear to be malfunctioning when the belt just isn’t tight enough. Have an experienced technician inspect the drive belt system and test the vehicle’s battery in order to make the necessary repairs.