Q: Battery keeps dying out

I have changed several batteries in my car. The original one lasted a long time, but the other ones keep dying out. It now happens more often. The last battery lasted several days. If the car sits for a couple of days, the battery dies. I had checked the alternator, the fuses, had the battery tested for parasitic drain and everything checks out fine. The car runs well otherwise. The only thing is that during driving, the security lights is on. Do you have any idea what could be draining the battery?

A: Hello. Typically when these symptoms occur ...

Hello. Typically when these symptoms occur with the security light on, it is always the ignition switch that is causing this. It can also be a short in the electrical system, but most of the time, it is caused by the ignition switch not turning off correctly. I usually do a voltage drop of the ignition switch to see if it is failing. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your battery’s dying problem and make the necessary repairs.