Q: Car loses power after several hours of driving

The car has gone close to 100,000 miles. When I drive for several hours, usually on the highway, the car would start losing power and I would barely be able to accelerate. The car makes the acceleration noise, but the increase in speed is minimal. It takes time to gather some speed even though I floor the gas pedal. The car would work fine when I pull over and let it sit for a while. During an oil change, the mechanic checked the battery and replaced it as it was bad. The fuel filter has also been changed. What could be causing the problem?

Hello there. This is not unusual with higher mileage vehicles. A few different faults can cause this issue, such as the fuel pump, alternator, low fuel pressure, plugs and coils, wiring fault or a battery. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to diagnose the vehicle’s loss of power and perform any repairs required.

3. Car loses power after several hours of driving