Q: Can a bad mass airflow sensor cause a car to shut off

98 Monte Carlo reads mass airflow sensor code.... but could this be why my car turns off when I go to stop

Hi There, This could potentially cause the car to die when you come to a stop, depending on how bad the problem or signal from the mass air flow sensor is. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.