Q: Battery dies over and over, works when jumped

At 49k miles on the clock, my 2011 Kia Soul stopped powering up, making me have to jump the battery several times before I got it checked out. Turns out the alternator was totally dead. Is this a normal issue to have at this kind of mileage? This is not an old car. What might cause the alternator to die like this?

If your battery is not working properly, it could cause a strain on the alternator. On the other hand, if the battery cable ends that connect to the battery are not making good contact to the battery, it could cause a premature failure of the alternator. Kia has a technical service bulletin, (TSB) SA099, that calls for the replacement of the two battery clamps. The defective clamps could be the reason the alternator overheated and burned out. I suggest getting the battery and cable ends checked and replaced as needed to extend the life of the alternator. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can check your systems for you, at the convenience of your home or office and can also perform the TSB since it is not covered unless you are under warranty.

3. Battery dies over and over, works when jumped