Q: Backfires around 70 mph and feels like gas might cut off at low speeds

i will be on the hwy and it will start to back fire around 70 mph and at low speeds like 20 it feels like fuel cuts out or something

A: Hello - fuel starvation or failing ignition...

Hello - fuel starvation or failing ignition could cause the behavior you are experiencing. If you accelerate from a standing start up a long hill, does the engine behave in the same way in each gear? Ignition problems will show up faster during the acceleration process than a fuel supply issue (weak plugs, wires, coils or ignition module). Fuel supply issues (clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump) will show up a few seconds later. If you would like to have this issue diagnosed, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the backfiring problem and follow through with repairs.