Q: Aux belt change

I took my car to the garage on the 1 February for the aux belt replacement. Few days after the belt snapped while I was driving causing damage to the head gasket and possibly further damage to the engine. The garage says that it was due to air con compressor being having 'a tight spot' which was not found when the belt was changed. The estimated cost of fixing the car is £1,200. Could garage do a better job while carrying the checks during the belt changed and find the air con problem sooner?

Anytime a problem happens, any mechanic will second guess what they ’should have done’ in order to avoid the problem. The truth is that most mechanical repair shops are in business to make money; not solve problems. That’s why many shops spend very little time diagnosing a problem and potential pitfalls as you’ve described. If you’re asking are there things they could have done; the answer is most likely yes. However, since I don’t work there and was not there to see what happened, it would be very irresponsible of me or any other mechanic to assign blame or say for certain this issue could have been avoided.

3. Aux belt change