Q: At night, headlights briefly turn off when using turn signal

At night when I use the turn signal, the headlights will completely go off for about one to two seconds. They always come back on when the turn signal lever returns to its normal position in the center. This had been happening intermittently for two months. Then on a recent 6-hour straight trip, at night on the interstate, it started occurring more frequently. Can you tell me what is causing this problem with my headlights and the turn signal?

Hello, thanks for writing in about your 2012 Hyundai Veracruz. The multi-function switch near the steering wheel has been known to cause a similar issue on many vehicles. Worn contacts inside the switch can cause the exterior lighting to malfunction or even short out. I recommend having a qualified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the headlights and lighting circuitry in person in order to make the correct repair.