Q: Are my seats compatible with car seats that use the LATCH system?

Are my seats compatible with car seats that use the LATCH system?

The LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system is employed by some manufacturers of car seats to provide consumers with a consistent and near-universal system for securing car seats inside of a vehicle. The vehicle is LATCH compatible in every passenger seat except for the center seat(s). Here are all available anchors that can be used to secure LATCH compatible car seats into the vehicle’s seat:

• Around the front passenger seat, there are anchors below and above the seat made to secure LATCH compatible car seats.

• The 2 lower anchors are located between the seatback and seat cushion. They should be accessible, but they are recessed enough to allow occupants to sit comfortably in the seat. Both anchors should be used when securing a car seat.

• The upper anchors allow LATCH compatible car seats to be tethered safely to the top of the seatback. Some seats use a single tether while others use a double tether for the top LATCH compatible anchor. If the truck has a regular cab, the upper tether anchors are located under plastic trim pieces labeled with a symbol resembling a car seat that is secured into a vehicle seat with a boat anchor and are on the back panel (behind the seat).

• On trucks equipped with a rear seat, the two side seats can be used to secure a LATCH compatible car seat while the middle seat does not have lower anchors. For safety reasons, it is not safe to secure a car seat into the middle passenger seat in either the front or rear seating areas.

• Lower anchors will be positioned the same way as the anchors in the front passenger seat, and they are located on the driver and passenger side rear seats.

• Upper anchors are the same as on the front passenger seat, and are located on all of the rear passenger seats.

Tip

Anchors will be labeled with a symbol that looks like a child in a car seat secured to a vehicle seat with an actual (boat) anchor.