Q: Anti-theft ignition issue (won't start) 2008 Ford Escape

asked by on February 28, 2017

Hi Ben, my 2008 Ford Escape takes about 30 times of turning the key in the ignition to start. This started out less severe as last week I would turn the key, the battery would turn on, but not start, but the second time I pulled it out, pushed it in(the anti theft system requires you to push the key in and turn) and turned it, it would start. The manual said if the anti theft light on the dash stays constant when the battery is on, that there's an issue with the anti theft system in the ignition. This light does stay constant. I can't afford to spend 15 min in the morning trying to start my car, so I was wondering what would fix this and how much it would cost.

Hi - Ford ignition switches of this vintage have a chronic problem of failing in this manner. The "center button" connection between the key tumbler and ignition switch wears, and the ignition switch is not moved adequately to complete the "starter" circuit. A new ignition switch should fix this. For assistance, I recommend a no start inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.