Q: Amber engine light came on. Mechanic said the fault was a knock sensor.

I have a Mazda demio 2004 and it's done hardly any mileage. About 44,000km.

I drive a lot of kms a week to and from work and 2 days ago the amber engine light came on.

I took it into the garage and they have come back with the fault being a knock sensor. As I drove away the lights came straight back on. I rung them and they said that it could be back on at anytime.

Basically the conclusion they have is that it requires removal of inlet manifold to access this. And it comes at a hefty price which I cannot afford for another few weeks.

My question is am I safe to keep driving my car until i can afford to get this done? I'm worried that if I leave it to long then I will break down. How serious is this?

3. Amber engine light came on. Mechanic said the fault was a knock sensor.