Q: Check engine light and the engine is making a humming noise.

asked by on February 06, 2017

My check engine light came on a month ago. I had it checked out by an auto part store that used the thing you plug into the spot under the steering wheel. They said it gave an evaporative cooling message. I took it in for an oil change with hopes they could look at the engine. They said I would have to make an appt. Since then my engine started to make a humming noise two days ago. Usually only when it's idling. Then tonight I get an a/c is not avaliable due to engine temperature warning on the display. I have a couple questions. Is it safe to drive for one more day till I have the appointment? Is it safe to drive to the appointment? Do you have any idea as to what may be the issue? And do you think a comprehensive warranty would cover the issue? Thanks for your time!

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The humming noise could be the air filter being dirty, the drive belt slipping, or the air conditioning clutch is slipping. It is safe to drive your vehicle to the appointment as long as there is no smells or loud noises other than the humming noise. Only a shop or a certified technician can give out a warranty for the replacement parts.